PLANNING chiefs are compromising children’s safety for the sake of ten new houses for which there is ‘no demand’, protesters have claimed.
They fear youngsters using a footpath between Highwood Road and De Montfort Way will be endangered if a 10-home development off the housing estate is given the green light.
And that prospect moved a step closer on Monday when East Staffordshire Borough Council’s planning committee awarded outline planning permission to applicant Mr J Kirk.
Speaking at the meeting, Uttoxeter resident John Davy said: “The entrance to the new development is at one of the most dangerous points.
“It’s always been recognised by highways as being so and there have always been traffic-calming measures.
“Many people living on the estate use a footpath from Highwood to Smallcross Road, including lots of kids using skateboards.
“Under these plans, there would be a complete blind spot where the road converges with the footpath and there’s no way you can guarantee safety for those using the path.”
The plans for the new development also include the removal of a pedestrian crossing and safety bollard from near its entrance.
But committee chairman Martin Blencowe (pictured) asked for the plans to be amended so the bollard and crossing would be moved rather than removed altogether.
Among other complaints from residents were the fact sheep graze on the land.
De Montfort Way resident David Glennan also said the privacy of his family would be compromised as families on the new development could 'see right into (his) living room'.
Mr Davy said there had been 'excessive building' in the area in the last few years and there was 'very little demand' for homes there.
He said properties were routinely taken off the market because they were not selling.