Login Register

Rocester swiftly dispatched by Stourport Swifts

By Uttoxeter Post and Times  |  Posted: August 15, 2014

Comments (0)



ROCESTER made a long and fruitless journey to Stourport Swifts on Tuesday night, shipping five goals without reply.

With motorway hold-ups hampering their preparations, Rocester never really recovered from a nightmare start which saw them two goals adrift within the first five minutes.

The Romans' defence appeared to still be in the dressing room as firstly Karl Fellows and then Ashley Parsons-Smith skipped through to give the hosts a two-goal advantage.

Aaron Dillon made a vital block on Alex Cowley's shot as Swifts battered the Rocester goal early on, and it could have got much worse for the Romans when Matt Nutt's foul on Paul Hurrell saw the referee point to the spot, only for Richard Froggatt to save Fellows' penalty.

Chances were sparse for a subdued Rocester, with a tame effort from Dan Wain and a speculative outside of the boot strike from Dillon failing to trouble Brendon Bunn.

Dillon delivered an excellent cross to Ashley Riddell shortly after the break but, closely marshaled by Hurrell, he was unable to get a shot away.

Swifts almost extended their lead on 52 minutes when an unpunished foul on Nick Ward, followed by a weak clearance from Wain presented skipper Gary Walker with a chance, but Reuben Burt covered well to mop up the danger.

Walker then fired another chance directly at Froggatt after being set up by Ben Maund.

Froggatt took two bites at claiming the ball under pressure from the lurking Lewis Pountney, and it was he who made it 3-0 to Swifts shortly after having been gifted space to fire home from inside the box.

Froggatt did well to claim a corner by Hurrell in a crowded area, but the keeper soon went from hero to zero with an air shot as he attempted to clear a backpass, leaving Parsons-Smith an empty net into which to finish.

Swifts made it five on 81 minutes when Richard Foster found himself two-on-one against Luke Morris and Fellows, the former laying the ball off to his team-mate for an easy finish.

The Romans did get the ball in the net five minutes from time, only for the linesman's flag to rule out John Atherton's effort.

GOALS: Fellows 2, 81, Parsons-Smith 5, 75, Pountney 56.

SWIFTS: Bunn, Parsons-Smith, Willets, Briscoe, Spencer, Cowley, Walker (Lavery 66), Fellows, Pountney (Mogg 66), Maund (Morris 66), Hurrell.

ROMANS: Froggatt, Nutt (Pugh 29) Dillon, Barlow, Burt, Wain (Foster 75), Dent, Ellerton, Ward, Lawrence (Atherton 65), Riddell.

REFEREE: B Tudgay.

Read more from Uttoxeter Advertiser

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters