Login Register

Uttoxeter Town reserves narrowly beaten at Cheadle SMU

By Uttoxeter Advertiser  |  Posted: August 20, 2014

Comments (0)



TOMMY Smith netted four goals – including what turned out to be a 90th-minute winner –as Uttoxeter Town reserves edged a thrilling victory at Norton on a miserable Monday evening.

After the lacklustre defeat to Cheadle SMU on Saturday, the reserves produced a far more competitive display.

Straight from the off, Town threatened the Norton goal and with five minutes gone, Town keeper Adam Hilton pumped the ball forward, and Smith (pictured) out-muscled the Norton keeper to open the scoring.

Ten minutes later, Smith was bullying the opposition and after being fed by Liam Dyche, he netted his second.

On 37 minutes, Town's James Hornsey and the Norton centre half came together and – after some handbags – both were sent off, which disrupted Town more than Norton, but on 42 minutes Smith completed his hat-trick.

In the second half Norton had the wind with them and started to put Town under pressure resulting in some last-ditch defending and leading to Dan Brennon getting a yellow card for a late tackle.

Norton's pressure resulted in them scoring two quick goals in the 63rd and 70th minute, causing Town to get desperate.

But Smith got his fourth on 90 minutes from a through ball by substitute Daryl Towle, before Norton got a third in injury time.



ON Saturday, boss Dean Arnold admitted local rivals Cheadle "wanted it more" after a 2-1 defeat at Oldfields.

Tom Harvey actually gave the hosts the lead early on, but two goals in five minutes after the break saw the visitors take all three points.

This was always going to be a competitive and tight game and so it proved to be as Cheadle came out all guns blazing putting Town under pressure from the start, but Town managed to settle and get a foothold in the game.

And this came to fruition in the 15th minute when Harvey scored with a low shot from outside the area.

Town were now on top but during the last 10 minutes of the half, Cheadle began to exert pressure on the defence.

The second half proved to be a different story with Cheadle taking control and scoring two quick goals in the 55th and 60th minutes.

Town only came back into the game in the last 15 minutes and Harvey found himself through on goal in the 75th minute but produced a weak attempt.

Two minutes later Ollie Crooks should have done better with a close-range header, and was then unlucky with a dipping free kick in the 81st minute, which the Cheadle keeper shovelled away.

Town's pressure left them exposed at the back which meant keeper Adam Hilton had to produce a fantastic goal-line clearance.

Read more from Uttoxeter Advertiser

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters